Thursday, January 12, 2017

Aurora Australis

January 12

I was working on getting data off my atmospheric sensors, when someone yelled "aurora". I went outside and here it was - a magnificent green alien light. It was changing fast. I went downstairs to the lab and a few cabins to tell more people. Soon about twenty of us gathered up to share the experience. It wasn't the brightest aurora I saw, but it was quite spectacular. Mostly green, although an occasional weak white and weak red beam made guest appearances. We stayed observing for about half an hour as the sky was getting more and more obscured by clouds. Many members of our expedition saw an aurora for the first time - it was really nice to share that experience with them. 
I did not even attempt to take pictures, but here are a couple taken by Florian, the EPFL photographer on board.


No comments:

Post a Comment